Channel Islands Air Search Runway Run 2023
Islanders will once again have an opportunity of running on Guernsey Airport’s runway later this year. The third Channel Islands Air Search Runway Run, sponsored by BDO Guernsey, is due to take place after 9.00 p.m. on Saturday, 2nd September and will allow runners to experience the novelty and excitement of this fun event, whilst also helping raise money for the voluntary local life-saving search and rescue charity.
This year’s event hopes to build on the success of the Air Search Runway Runs held in 2021 and 2022, as well as five very successful Runway Runs organised by Crimestoppers between 2015-2019. The run will continue as a 5 km course over the runway and taxiways, however, it will be a ‘fun run’ rather than a competitive, timed event.
The number of places available is strictly limited to 500 participants, and prospective runners can secure their spot at a cost of £25 per person, including a special commemorative t-shirt to be worn on the night.
Enrolment for the event opens soon, and is online via RaceNation.
Runners are reminded that, as official photographic identification will be required on the night, names should be entered as they appear on the relevant ID when registering.
Further information may be found on the dedicated ‘Air Search Runway Run’ Facebook page. Runners are also being encouraged to raise sponsorship, which will be facilitated through Race Nation’s SportsGiving service.
Full Terms & Conditions of Entry can be found below:
- Participants must be at least 16 years old to participate in the Run. There is an upper age limit of 80 years old.
- Participation in the Run is at the participant’s own risk.
- A maximum of 500 participants will be permitted to take part.
- It is recommended that participants take reasonable steps to satisfy themselves that they are fit and healthy to take part. In particular, participants agree that they will not attend the event if on the day they are experiencing any of the Covid-19 symptoms shown at https://gov.gg/covid-symptoms.
- The Runway Run is scheduled to take place on the night of Saturday 2nd September 2023. However the date of the event may be subject to change, possibly at short notice, for example because of flight delays, bad weather, Covid-19 restrictions, or other reasons outside of the organisers’ control. Should it become necessary to change the date of the Run, the organisers will give participants as much notice as possible.
- Whilst the Run is scheduled to begin at 10.30 p.m., any timings are for guidance only and may be subject to change, for example in the event of an extension to flying hours at Guernsey Airport.
- Owing to aviation security regulations, participants will be required to bring official photographic ID (valid passport or driving licence recommended). It is vital that the forename and surname used by each participant when registering for the event exactly matches that shown on their photographic ID. Participants without photographic ID, or without ID matching the name used when registering, will not be permitted to take part and no refund will be given.
- For the reasons outlined in (7) above, event tickets are strictly non-transferable.
- Time constraints apply as Guernsey Airport has to be closed by a particular time, and all equipment and airfield inspections must be completed ahead of that time. In view of this, participants who have not completed the 5 km course by 11.15 p.m. will be directed back to the CIAS hangar via the shortest practical route.
- Participants must ensure that contact details provided during registration are correct, and that any email address provided is regularly checked in the run up to the event.
- Event tickets are non-refundable if cancelled by the participant. Participants may wish to take independent insurance to cover this eventuality.
- There is a risk that the Runway Run may need to be curtailed, for example in the event of an Air Search call out, or a medevac flight needing to operate. In these circumstances runners will be instructed by marshals to return immediately to the CIAS hangar, the event will be declared finished and no refund will be given.
- Participants agree to follow instructions given by personnel of Guernsey Airport, Civil Protection Volunteers, Channel Islands Air Search or any other person authorised by the organisers. Any participant who fails to do so, or who acts in a manner likely to cause disruption to the event, or injury to other participants, will immediately be disqualified from taking part.
- By registering to take part, participants agree that the organisers may share their name and contact details with Guernsey Airport (for security screening), and with the Public Health department if necessary for Covid-19 track and trace.
- The organisers reserve the right to decline any application to take part in the Run, even after a confirmation email has been issued, without giving a reason. Similarly, the organisers reserve the right to refuse entry to the event.
- The registration fee paid includes a commemorative T-shirt. T-shirts are subject to availability and the organisers regret that they are unable to guarantee availability of T-shirts in specific sizes. Participants who register to attend, but do not show up, will not be entitled to a T-shirt. Those who register for the 2023 Air Search Runway Run, who also took part in the 2021 or 2022 events, have the option to decline a new T-shirt and reuse their 2021/2022 Runway Run T-shirt, thereby raising extra funds for Channel Islands Air Search.
- Participants will be required to wear their Runway Run T-shirt to access the runway. In the event of wet weather, T-shirts are required to be worn on top of outer clothing, so it is recommended that if in doubt as to size, participants order one size larger.
- No loose objects of any kind (including, for example, mobile phones, pens, water bottles, etc.) may be taken onto the Runway. Provision will be made for secure safe-keeping of small items such as photographic ID etc., but participants are requested to bring as few personal items as possible as storage space will be limited.
- If you are booking places on behalf of another person/s, in doing so you confirm that you have the permission of all entrants that you are registering to provide their personal data to us, and to agree to these Terms & Conditions on their behalf.
- The organisers reserve the right to amend these Terms & Conditions.